The Pearson 26 now has a name! When I had the opportunity to do this project I thought to myself, "why not?" So, I have decided to name her "Why Knot". See, the name fits perfectly!
Now, for a progress report. I'll start with the leaky port-side window. The window was leaking a lot, causing water to rot the wood panel below it.
The first step in this process was to remove the window. Surprisingly, the window was not secured with much to the cabin. The frame was secured with screws that sandwiched the window against the fiberglass. Also, it was caulked into place, adhering it to the outside of the cabin. To remove the window I removed the frame and began cutting the caulk away with a utility knife. After removing the caulk I was able to simply pop it out of the cabin. Now, it was time to re-seal the window. The old gasket was brittle and useless. I used a great product from Total Boat called Seal. This product comes in a 10oz. cartridge and was very easy to apply. I used painters tape to tape off around the window in prepraation for some squeeze out of the Seal. When dry, Seal provides a highly elastic seal blocking out the water and stopping leaks. This is perfect for my leaky window. I was able able sand the remainder of the seal off. Now the newly sealed window is in place and ready for the summer!
On to my next project...refinishing the floorboards. The floorboards where in poor shape when I got the boat. The paint was chipping off them and the wood coating was in poor shape. Because the wood could possibly come in contact with bilge water I felt that it was essential to have the boards properly sealed. I began by sanding off all the old varnish and bilge paint. I then repainted the boards with Total Boat TotalBilge grey bilge paint. This paint is epoxy based and very durable, making it perfect for these floor boards that will be covering the bilge. I used the same paint on the sail locker for its mildew resistance. Once the boards where painted on the bottom, I prepped the top for clear epoxy. I used 220 grit sand paper to sand the wood and then used acetone to prep the wood. For epoxy I used Total Boat 2:1 clear penetrating epoxy cold weather formula. This epoxy is perfect for protecting the wood from the environment by sealing it. The boards looked better than new after the epoxy was applied and I can't wait to place them back on the boat in the spring.
Hello! My Name is Stuart Wemple. Welcome to my blog about the refit of my Pearson 26, Why Knot.