One of the least desirable aspects of the boat was the green deck paint. It was faded and wore off on everything that it came into contact with. I spent the winter sanding this paint in preparation for a fresh coat. I painted the deck light grey with TotalBoat TotalTread nonskid deck paint. I still have to paint the cockpit but I am very happy with how the deck turned out. The new paint really makes the boat feel fresh.
Another recent project was painting the boot stripe. Originally there was not a boot stripe but when I started sanding the hull I discovered an old red stripe that had been painted over with antifouling paint. I sanded the antifouling paint off and prepped the area with TotalBoat surface prep and dewaxer. I then painted a new boot stripe on with TotalBoat WetEdge paint.
Today I also was able to install my new standing rigging and life lines that I got from R and W rope. The new rigging and lifelines look fantastic.
I have installed the hatch, sealing the hardware with TotalBoat SEAL. I built a mahogany swim step secured with Thixo, a thickened epoxy that comes in a tube that is very easy to use. My friend Connor came by and helped sand the wood smooth. I also used Thixo to attach the rubrail back to the keel-hull joint on the bow. The new step has been installed and the table is back in. The wood around the kitchenette got a refresher coat of TotalBoat Gleam 2.0 which looks much better.
A huge thank you to my uncle Charles for loaning a 4hp motor to help get me back home when the wind dies. The motor had been sitting since 2006 but was very well maintained and in good condition. All it needed was new gear case lubricant and a new water pump. That has been replaced and the motor is ready for action.
Hello! My Name is Stuart Wemple. Welcome to my blog about the refit of my Pearson 26, Why Knot.